Monday, February 4, 2013

Alternate Point Blank Zero


So, an alternate approach would be determine what your maximum range is where you are shooting groups one-half the size of your target. Then, find the range at which the center of your group is halfway between the center and bottom edge of your target. That would be your maximum zero holdover range. Adjust your zero accordingly.

If I’m using an eight inch vital zone and I’m shooting a four inch group from a field position at three hundred yards, I want the center of my group to fall two inches above the bottom of the vital zone so that I can be sure (if my hold is good) that all my shots will fall in the vital zone. This means, at the maximum range, the center of my group should be no more than two inches below my aiming point at three hundred yards. My group at the maximum ordinate above the sightline will be proportionately smaller so I can have the center of the group closer to the upper edge of the vital zone.

With this approach, even with an eight inch vital zone, I’m back to keeping my ideal ballistic curve no more than two inches below the line of sight or a bit more above it.

No comments:

Post a Comment