Monday, February 4, 2013

Gunsite Videos Revisited

I have to update my Gunsite video review. I have changed my mind about them not being worth watching. They’re hilarious!

At the end of each of the firearms videos they have a dry firing sequence. Little targets pop up on the screen and you’re supposed to aim and fire your unloaded weapon at them. Yeah. I have to wonder how many televisions have met their demise because of this little gem. It reminds me of a scene from the comedy television series “Sledge Hammer”.

Sledge is a Dirty Harry caricature who rents a video titled “Video Shooting Range”. The video consists of a silhouette target that says, “Shoot me. Shoot me,” which Sledge does leading to exploding television hilarity.

Just so there’s no misunderstanding, I think dry fire exercises are a valuable and generally under-used training tool.

The edged weapon video was an absolute hoot. It was an obvious vanity piece for the self-proclaimed “Blade-Master”. He couldn’t draw a knife without dramatically whipping it out (Sheriff Bart - “Excuse me while I whip this out.”) which I’m assuming was supposed to impress us. Ooo, oh Blade-Master! I am dazzled and not a little frightened by this strange and wondrous thing you have seemingly produced from thin air!

He had some difficulty getting most of his facts straight when he discussed knife construction materials and design but I can forgive that sort of thing if someone knows how to use his knife. Ah, I can see you’re already ahead of me; his technique was somewhat lacking.

Some of his knife fighting theory was sound although very basic. Unfortunately, he was insistent that his technique was the ONLY viable technique which really isn’t true. He also seemed to think that he was coming up with something new in several thousand years of knife-fighting history. That generally indicates a lack of knowledge of history rather than any real originality.

I must admit, his stance was rather novel. He formed his empty hand into a sort of claw and held it with the palm over his face. I was thinking it would be funny to bump his elbow and watch him poke himself in the eyes with his own fingers. His absolute insistence that this was the only survivable knife-fighting stance and that the slightest deviation would lead to erectile dysfunction and instant death was particularly amusing when he abandoned it every time he started sparring.

Anyway, the whole idea of becoming a competent knife-fighter from watching a 90 minute DVD is almost criminally stupid. For some real world perspective on knives, check out Marc “Animal” MacYoung; he’s got the straight poop and some really good books.


http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment