Monday, February 4, 2013

Gunsite Videos Review

I picked up a bunch of the newer Gunsite videos and can tell you, don’t waste your time. The early ones with Jeff Cooper were quite good. The newer ones are a very shallow overview of the material. In fact, Tactical Pistol II is pretty much a rehash of Tactical Pistol I. I picked up six of them for $40 and boy, am I glad I didn’t pay full price. Still, it’s interesting to see what was being taught at Gunsite grey (the original was Gunsite orange). It’s also interesting to see how things evolved from Cooper’s original techniques and have since evolved at the current Gunsite and Thunder Ranch. Gunsite grey and Frontsight are the two schools that really gave the Modern Technique a bad name primarily because the instructors didn’t seem to understand the material themselves and frankly mistaught a lot of it.

I also got Clint Smith’s Defensive Tactics DVD and it’s quite good. I don’t know that I’m interested in most of his DVDs but I may pick up a couple more. I really enjoy his videos that I’ve been picking up off the Internet. His Defensive Handgun DVD was one of his first and I think he let himself get a bit rushed by the time constraint. When he has more time to cover a subject, he’s a lot more fun to watch. The longer videos off the net also present more of his thoughts and philosophy behind his technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment